Adventures with a Microscope DVD
- Section 1 (12 min): How to use a microcope and prepared slides. We show you everything you need to know for getting the most out of your microscope.
- Section 2 (15 min): Investigating cells, five engaging demonstrations of observations that you can do with plant and animal cells.
- Section 3 (22 min): Observing prepared specimens. Here we spend time showing you what to look for when using teh 10 prepared slides in the Super Slide Kit (there are 10 individual chapter points on the DVD for easy access).
- Section 4 (15 min): Investigating pond water. This section is awesome! You will see many microscopic critters found in pond water. See protozoans splitting and watch the food chain in action! With your microscope, you can find these same organisms in lakes, streams, acquariums and even an old rain puddle!
Grades: 4-10, Running time: 1 hr. 15 min., Format: DVD, Copyright: 1992.
Teacher Handbook: Experiments with a Microscope
The 100-page reproducible Experiments with a Microscope teacher handbook is available either in printed format or on CD-ROM. This book is filled with lesson plans, information sheets, lab activity pages, puzzles and even a quiz on each of the four sections below.
- Part 1 - The Microscope. This section includes information on proper use of the microscope, tips and techniques for conducting successful lab activities, preparing wet-mount slides and making measurements.
- Part 2 - Investigating Cells. This section covers "What is a cell?", observing plant and animal cells, the effect of salt water on cells and investigating mitosis.
- Part 3 - Prepared Slides. This section looks deeper into investigating pine needles, plant stems, plant leaves, earthworms and the flea, as well as bacteria in foods. All of the prepared slides that are covered in this section are included in the slide kit.
- Part 4 - Investigating Pond Water. This section includes lesson plans and covers protists, protozoa, collecting water samples and culturing protozoa, carying for your organisms, investigating pond water and investigating daphnia.
View a sample worksheet "Proper Use of the Microscope" from the teacher handbook here.
View a sample lab "Investigating Blood Cells" from the teacher handbook here.
Super Slide Kit
- 10 blank glass slides
- 2 well depression slides
- Box of 100 glass cover slips
- Eye dropper
- 10 prepared slides including:
- onion root tip
- bacteria (3 types)
- monocot and dicot
- woody stem cross section
- 3 types of plant leaves (cross sections)
- human blood cells
- cross section of an earthworm
- insect legs
- cross sectino of a pine needle
You can view images of the ten prepared slides here.
ORDER: Order the complete set: DVD "Adventures with a Microscope", super slide kit and microscope Teacher Handbook here.